9th graders prepping for the PSAT this Wednesday
Our weeks are always filled with an abundance of learning opportunities – this week was no different! Many of our high school students were able to showcase that learning by taking the PSAT or SAT (rescheduled from the spring). We are SO proud of each student who tested! There is one more test day scheduled for the end of this month as well (details below).
Today our teachers were given the opportunity to do a bit of learning themselves as they immersed themselves in a day of professional development with teachers from all IES schools. Below you see pictures our teachers taking part in an implicit bias/race simulation & training. Teachers also spent much of their day analyzing MAP data and goal-setting for our students. We are so grateful for days like today to immerse ourselves in the practice of lifelong learning!
The ‘iCademy Global Blog’ is a weekly communication of important reminders, announcements, and upcoming events that will be posted at the close of each week.
- BREAK WEEK! This weekend marks the start of BREAK WEEK! While this is a great week for students to catch-up on any missing work, we also want to remind our families that these break weeks are purposefully built into our school calendar to provide opportunities for taking a break from the daily grind and spending time doing things that will rejuvenate us for the return back to SESSION 3 on MONDAY, OCTOBER 26. Enjoy time with your families, making memories and taking advantage of this time for rest & adventure! See you on Oct. 26!
- BREAKFAST/LUNCH PICK-UP OPPORTUNITY – EVEN DURING BREAKS!
- If you are in need of breakfast/lunches for your child(ren), you may sign up each week for FREE!
- Children you register for this service do not need to be students at iCademy, but can also be siblings, ages 0-18, who also live at the home.
- Sign up no later than 1:30pm on SUNDAY each week. Please CLICK to register for pickup on MONDAY, OCTOBER 19TH between 2:15-2:30pm.
- Questions? Please contact Stacy at email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: Breakfast/Lunch pick up will continue on break weeks as well.
1. Arrive at the iCademy door in the east lot (see map below) between 2:15pm-2:30pm on MONDAY.
2. Stay in your car and your lunches will be delivered to you.
3. Repeat each week you wish.
4. Questions? Please contact Stacy at firstname.lastname@example.org
- PSAT/NMSQT (Spring 2020 Make-Up) THURS., OCTOBER 29 for 10th & 11th Grades! Details below…
- 2-1-1: This service provides access to food, health, mental health, and various other needs. For assistance, call 2-1-1 on your mobile phone or dial 877-211-5253. Texting is available by texting your zip code to 898211. To access online, go to www.call-211.org.
- Feeding America: Mark your calendar and share these dates with friends and neighbors! Feeding America Mobile Food Distribution takes place at Zeeland Public Roosevelt School’s west parking lot (175 W. Roosevelt Ave., Zeeland, MI 49464). This is a drive-thru, no contact distribution. All are welcome. No income guidelines or proof of residency required. Event runs 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm on November 17, December 8 and January 12, 2021.
- NOT LOCAL? LOOKING FOR FREE MEALS FOR YOUR FAMILY?
- Contact your local ISD: If you are out of range, but would like to take advantage of the week’s worth of free meals for your children, please connect with your local Intermediate School District for information on receiving free meals. As long as your local ISD has a virtual school program, you can qualify for free meals.
- Meet UP and Eat UP: This is another incredible program (sponsored by the United Way) providing meals for families throughout Michigan. Please view the interactive map HERE for more information on food distribution near you.
- COVID-19 DASHBOARD FOR iCADEMY: iCademy Global will share updated COVID-19 data each Monday afternoon. Due to HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) laws, no personal information will be shared. When iCademy receives communication of a positive case, we will notify the county health department who traces and directly connects with those in close contact of the positive case. iCademy will notify the school family of the case and the actions taking place as necessary. https://icademyglobal.org/covid-19-dashboard/
- Engagement & Attendance: In a traditional brick and mortar school when students show up for the day or for a class, the teacher takes attendance and that is submitted to the State of Michigan. At a virtual school like iCademy Global, three factors play a role in engagement and attendance. Two-way communication, participation in Live Lessons/check-in with Mentors and adequate time and progress lets us know that you are engaged in your school work and are counted as being present at iCademy Global. When a student is not meeting the expectations, they are flagged as being absent.
- Truancy: In order to meet the state expectation of 1098 hours engaged in coursework each year, it is required that iCademy Global students spend an average of 420 minutes per day doing school work – Monday through Friday. In many cases, absences from school are unavoidable due to health problems or other circumstances. However, chronic absenteeism can have a drastic impact on your child’s education. Children chronically absent in kindergarten and first grade are much less likely to learn to read by the end of third grade. By sixth grade, chronic absence is a proven early warning sign of drop-out. By ninth grade, good attendance can predict graduation even better than eighth grade test scores.
When we see that a student is not completing his/her coursework within the coursework and/or participating in required Live Lessons, not attending mentor meetings or lacking in two-way communication, parent/guardian will be contacted via an attendance letter indicating multiple absences and requesting a virtual meeting to create a personalized Learning Plan. Parents are a huge player in the success of the students as well. Parents will be required to walk alongside the student for accountability purposes to ensure success. If a student does not adhere to the personalized Learning Plan, the Learning Team will begin the Truancy process which may result as a formal file to Truancy through the Ottawa Area Intermediate School District.
- Got Questions? We’ve got answers! Whenever you have questions, big or small, we are here to answer them! Your first point of contact for all questions is your child’s MENTOR. Can’t remember who that is? When your child is logged-in to their Student Portal (https://portal.icademyglobal.org) with their Microsoft 365 credentials, their Student Dashboard has their mentor’s contact information. The quickest way to reach your child’s mentor is for the student to connect with them in Zoom. From there, they can direct you to the right place if they personally can’t answer your questions.
- Master Staff Contact List: To contact any staff member, please reference this updated master staff contact list. Thank you!
- iCademy FERPA: Please click this link to view.
- iCademy Annual Asbestos Notification: Please click this link to view this annual notification.
- iCademy Pest Management: Please click this link to view.
- Email List: Do you have another family member you would like added to our email list for school-wide communication? If so, please contact Ms. Leisa Lobbezoo at email@example.com to be added.
- Follow Us on Facebook & Instagram! We love to keep you connected to the iCademy community on our Facebook & Instagram pages. If you haven’t already done so, follow us today! @icademyvirtual (FB), @icademyelementary (FB), @icademyvirtual (IG), @icademyelementary (IG). You can even request to join the iCademy Global Parents Facebook page!
Monday, October 19-23: BREAK WEEK → No School!
Monday, October 26: School Resumes
Important iCademy Resources:
- 2020-2021 iCademy Family Calendar
- 2020-2021 K5 Live Lesson Schedule
- 2020-2021 MS Live Lesson Schedule
- 2020-2021 HS Live Lesson Schedule
- 2020-2021 iCademy Elementary K5 Synergy Session Calendar
- Coming Soon! 2020-2021 iCademy Middle & High School Synergy Session Calendars
- VECTOR TECH SUPPORT: Have a tech issue with your child’s computer? Please contact Vector Tech Support at 1-866-629-8005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LINCOLN LEARNING LOG-IN TECH SUPPORT: 1-866-990-6637
Have a FABULOUS Break Week! See you Oct. 26!
– iCademy Global Staff