Connections & Community
Whether it’s the learning, the stories or the hugs shared among classmates, children love the connections and community at iCademy Global K5.
Our teachers carefully nurture these precious relationships, fostering a culture based on safety, acceptance, leadership, and collaboration. We empower kids to have voice, choice, and control over their own learning. In fact, self-directed learning is intentionally scaffolded from Kindergarten through 5th grade to prepare the “whole” child for the skills he or she needs to succeed as they move into middle and high school.
Families have a choice to bring their children to campus for a day each week to engage in a community where hands-on learning happens in a multi-age setting with highly qualified Michigan Certified teachers.
Communities and employers need strong leaders. iCademy Global is deliberate in teaching, modeling, and monitoring strategies for growing leadership. Students practice habits that are independent and interdependent in nature. These habits provide the scaffolding for them to be successful in their academics, relationships, and personal growth.
The K-5 curriculum provides the hands-on components needed to deliver instruction and enhance learning. Our curriculum aligns with state standards and promotes 21st Century skills by nurturing curiosity, wonder and creativity, encouraging self-directed learning, making real-world connections, developing higher-order thinking and using communication skills.
iCademy students immerse themselves in cultural and global awareness. In K-5, we explore the world by learning about our neighbors, daily practicing a foreign language and understanding that we are more alike than different.
Role of the Student
- I devote a minimum of 30 hours per week to my coursework.
- I am on pace and complete the weekly required lessons.
- I am responsible for my learning tools and have my computer charged so that I am ready for learning each day.
- I ask for assistance from my Learning Coach and/or Teacher when I need it.
- I put forth my best effort and have a growth mindset.
- I submit assessments and projects that reflect my own learning.
- I attend my whole class live lessons each week.
- I attend my homeroom time each week.
- I have a two-way communication at least once per week with my teacher.
- I participate in MAPS and M-STEP testing throughout the year to show what I know and to track my growth.
- I keep my learning space clean and organized.
- I treat my device and materials with respect and care.
Role of the Learning Coach
- I facilitate 4-6 hours per day (on average) of student learning.
- I participate actively in a team through student and parent conference calls.
- I have a two-way communication at least once per week with my student’s teacher.
- I establish a consistent learning routine and environment.
- I ensure that my student is on pace and completes the weekly required lessons.
- I monitor my student’s progress and mastery of content daily by checking the gradebook and feedback frequently.
- I verify that student assignments and assessments reflect the student’s best learning.
- I use the Lesson Guides and implement the curriculum with fidelity.
- I read all iCademy emails and newsletters to stay informed.
- I communicate with my student’s teacher when there is a family emergency, a unique need, or an attendance situation that arises.
- I talk to my student frequently about their digital footprint, online safety, and having responsibility online.
Role of the Teacher
- I answer your calls/emails/texts within 24 hours of receiving them.
- I support students’ individual growth by differentiated instruction and remediation when necessary.
- I provide one-on-one support and resources to students.
- I monitor weekly attendance, progress, and mastery of content.
- I assist the Learning Coach with instructional strategies and resources.
- I provide feedback on assignments in a variety of ways and in a timely manner.
- I organize and review data from state, district, and student assessments.
- I prepare live lessons every week.
- I prepare homeroom time once per week.
- I provide monthly Synergy Sessions